April 28, 2008

Manga and Sunday Salon...


... a good combination? I think so (of course, manga and anything is a good combination. Especially manga and iced mochas!). If you haven't read a manga yet, do so! They are so very addicting it's scary. As of right now I'm reading Absolute Boyfriend ( 絶対彼氏 Zettai Kareshi) by Yuu Watase and it's a keeper! The art isn't the very greatest (it's like everything else out there, I would say) but I like it, and sometimes it's hard to tell one male character apart from another, but the story line, characters, and hilarity are just too intriguing and fun!

Absolute Boyfriend is the story of an average high school girl who, for the life of her, can not get a boyfriend. Honestly, the poor girl is like an anti-boyfriend magnet! It is hinted (ok, bashed upon us) that the reason she can't attract a boy is because of her rather small chest size (let me warn you now, this manga does... insinuate quite a lot and is rated 16+). So what does she do? She orders one on a trial basis. If she fails to return him in 3 days she'll have to pay 100 million yen (roughly 1 million bucks!). Ouch. You know what happens, right? You guessed it; she keeps him. So how does that work? She has a robotic boyfriend living in her apartment, still has to attend school, oh, and did I mention an old school friend who has had a crush on her forever is living next door! What happens? You'll just have to read it and find out.

So far I've enjoyed vol 1 and 2, vol 3 was a bit repetitive for my tastes ("Have sex! Have sex! Let's have sex!!") but the story was saved in vol 4 by a new twist. Vol 6 is a kicker, folks, so brink a hankie (and if you're like me, buy it last!!).

Now, I'm off! If you have any questions about it, just ask. Happy reading all.

Yes, yes, yes! The covers link to the amazon store so you can check out each volume and perhaps buy it ^_^ Come on, I know you want too!! Besides, if you don't you wont read a great story and I wont get payed!

2 comments:

  1. I've never read manga before. Is this a good series to start with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As most series go, this is a rather simple one with a straight forward plot. It's a bit, how should I phrase this, randy at times. The art isn't top notch and could be more detailed, but I liked it and recommend it.

    It is 6 books long and may be a bit of a stretch on the pocket book for new readers (an average manga costs around $9) so if this is your first look at a manga, I'd try it out before you buy.

    If you do check it out, let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete