January 31, 2008

January's Reads - A Recap

January, I'm surprised to say, was a very productive month. I've managed to fix most of the site and read 7 novels and 9 mangas. I'm so amazed and proud of my self. I never get this much work done. Ok, so a quick recap.

Satisfaction by Marianne Stillings
This one had a great start. Very cleanly written, plotted, and executed. The novel began to feel a bit stretched towards the end, though. Read it if you want a quick read; that's about all.

Accidentally Yours by Susan Mallery
This one was very well written, witty, and entertaining (ok, emotional). The characters where very well portrayed and I liked them or hated them, depending on what the writer wanted you to feel. Very much recommend.

Ouran High School Host Club by Bisco Hatori
vols 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
The first book was a bit blah. Read it or put it down, I could have done either, but I'm glad I kept reading. Around book 3 (maybe 4) the series started picking up. I love how Haruhi doesn't really care. About anything, really. She just 'is'. He's so like me, it's scary. Loved it and can't wait for the next 10 (yah, I said 10!)

Silent in the Sanctuary by Deanna Raybourn {blog post}
This one was very well written. Raybourn has created a novel with the voice of England pounded into the pages. If you read it, I'm sure you'll love it.

The Luxe by Anna Godbersen
The beginning was a bit modern for me. The characters are so... Gossip Girl. Really, it was annoying how many 'pure' young ladies where sleeping around. Shesh. But it picked up and was actually fun to read.

This Is How It Happened by Jo Barrett
Jo Barrett has a wildly funny sense of humor. I loved this one, even though the alternating past/present chapter switch was annoying. You really do have to read it though.

The Wicked Ways of a Duke by Laura Lee Guhrke
Nicely written. Very Victorian, which you just don't see very much of in MM publications now a-days. This slipped a bit towards the end, but there was still a hint of it there. Not bad, I think.

The Good Liar by Laura Caldwell
Normally I'm not one for suspense. This one, on the other hand, was very well written. The plot was quite complex but tied up very nicely. It was also addicting! I read it in less than 3 days!! You really must read this one!

So there you have it. Hopefully next month is just a productive. Crap, I hope I didn't just jinx myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment