July 25, 2008

Sometimes life can be such a bitch

I took a dive into my YA TBR pile this last week, pulling out DAIRY QUEEN and THE OFF SEASON by Catherine Gilbert Murdock. I saw PRINCESS BEN at my local Barns & Nobles and I really liked the look of it, so I figured "What the heck" and pulled down those two.

I'm really glad I did, too. They where just so... real. Both books are part of the 'Dairy Queen' series and is told by the hand of Darlene Joyce "D.J." Schwenk. I admit it was a bit odd at first; the story written like it was pulled from 16 year-old D.J.'s head with all her quirks. But Murdock pulled it off fantastically. So fantastically, in fact, that by the end your surprised it's written by a grown woman and not a 16 year-old.

In the first book, DAIRY QUEEN, you fallow D.J. as she runs her family's dairy farm--if somewhat reluctantly. The Schwenks, you see, are huge football fans. The father played in the army and hurt his hip, the two older brothers are away to college on football scollerships, and the younger brother is in junior ball--and winning--and allowed to slack off. That leaves D.J. with an above average knowledge of the game and a little resentment. When she's asked to teach the rival town's starting quarterback, Brian Nelson, work ethics (the Schwenks are very hard working) she never expected to find herself coaching him or wanting to try out for the high school football team!

THE OFF SEASON, the second book, starts just days after the first one ends (though I had to admit Murdock did a great job of making it possible of being a stand-alone). D.J. again tells her story, but this one is a bit more of an emotional roller coaster ride. D.J.'s feelings for Brian are growing leaving her wondering what will become of the hot-jock and not-so-hot, taller-than-average farm girl. Her brother is more quiet than usual (if such a thing is possible) and may have a couple secrets of his own. Then there's this thing with her oldest brother... well, I can't tell you without messing with your emotional roller coaster. Needless-to-say it isn't very good.

Murdock is planning a third book in the series. Thank goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment