December 23, 2007

Sunday Salon: Last Minute

The clock is counting down to the beginning of a new day and the end of Sunday, and as a last-minute type of person, I'm posting my Sunday Salon ramblings for the late crowd.

Though today has been a busy day with last-minute holiday shopping and preparation, I still managed to finish The Warrior by Kinley MacGregor. I really wish I hadn't wasted my time. That sounds a bit harsh, I know, but for a writer as established as Sherrilyn Kenyon, I was expecting something a little better than this... atrocity!

The novel, set sometime in the reign of Henry V, fallows Lochlan MacAllister as he searches for his missing brother, Kieran. Lochlan runs into Catarina, a bastard of King Phillip of France, as she flees an arranged marriage. That's about all the sense this story makes. The author makes no effort in creating a relationship between the characters and instead leads them into cliché situations that left me rolling my eyes, speechless. Characters seam to be underdeveloped and under used and modern phrases and ideals prevented the story from attaining that authentic feel that make historicals, well, historicals. If that wasn't the worst of it, the ending was just to ridiculous. And the epilog?! Oh, seriously. If your going to cross genres, please do it decently! A hack job like this is what turns readers away from your work!

And to think, I still have to write a review for this one. Ug!

1 comment:

  1. I've never read anything by this author - looks like I'll try to avoid him now! *laughs* Sorry it was such a disappointment - I hate when that happens!

    ReplyDelete