August 17, 2008

Anne Celebrates 100 Years

Please be advised that it is 2:30 in the morning. While I may not have the best grammar on a good day, it is simply folly to expect this post to be legible.

Some guy is shooting out in the orchards and it's quite unnerving, so I'm sitting up browsing the New York Time's book reviews until he stops or I pass out. In doing so, I just stumbled across a review for Irene Gammel's LOOKING FOR ANNE OF GREEN GABLES: The Story of L. M. Montgomery and her Literary Classic {buy from Amazon}. As you can probably tell from the title it's basically a biography of Montgomery during her early years.{the review can be viewed here}

In reading the review I learned that Montgomery had based her ideal of Anne the main character in the series, on an early portrait of Evelyn Nesbit; a 1900's model and actress who was believed to be the catalyst for the death of Stanford White. Being somewhat of a quizzical sort, I googled her (yes, googled. I use it, it's not just a term). Wikipidia was the first site I found that had a rather nice collection of information. Ther story, in and of it's self, is a very tragic tale.

But more than that I learned that June was the 100'th anniversary of the publication of ANNE OF GREEN GABLES. I have only really read 2 of the series, though I've had them all at one point. I was a huge fan of the Disney series AVONLEA, and have seen (and liked!) the movies, but I felt a little awed ringing that out. Despite receiving a negative review by The New York Times during it's original release, the book has done better than well. Published in the same format as the original--including cover, illustrations, and typographical errors-- by Putnam Books, the new 100'th anniversary edition give you a further glance into the world that Montgomery knew and it looks to be a very intriguing collectors item.{buy from Amazon}

Just had to share. Now, back to your reading. The shooting has stopped so I'm off to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment