August 10, 2008

Is It Really Sunday Again?!

I just looked at the clock. 1:40. Yup, it's Sunday. Again. Yes, yes, I know I don't sound all that enthused and, to be truthful, I'm not. No, I'm not happy that yet another week has passed. Not happy that I am still reading the same book I was reading earlier this week (as a reviewer I need to throw back at least two a week). I'm not happy that I have not completed the work I needed to get done. So, no. I'm not happy. Of course it may also be that it is1:40 in the morning and I'm tired. I really should just go to bed.

But before I do that I wanted to tell you what I'm reading. This weekend I'm finishing up Julia Quinn's MR. CAVENDISH, I PRESUME. I'm not as thrilled with this one as I was with THE LOST DUKE OF WYNDHAM. Yes, it's a good story that reads nicely but I am reading a story that I've basically already read. There isn't much of anything new. Yes, these are different characters with different circumstances, but the whole basis is the same and rather anti-climatic. Quinn would have had a better set of novels if she had taken a cue from Debra Dier and simply had elements of the novels overlap as Dier did in DEVIL'S HONOR and SAINT'S TEMPTATION (two of my all-time favorite novels which really should be re-printed). I am currently on page 260 of 370. With luck, I'll finish this and still have room to start something else.

See also: What I'm Reading - Mr. Cavendish, I Presume

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for commenting on my first Sunday Salon post. I really appreciate it and I've added you to my Google Reader so I can keep up with your blog.

    I hate it when an author writes the same three or four novels over and over again. I found this to be true of Danielle Steele back when I was in high school and the woman is still writing - about what I'd like to ask. I hope that this week's reading gets easier. I understand the pressure to keep reading.

    Jennifer from Literate Housewife

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, that about sums it up, though she did this on purpose. It's suppose to give you, the reader, an inside glance at both romances. At the changes it reaps in the lives of men and women of different stations.

    But that's not what I got, sadly. And it is such a shame; I rather like Julia Quinn. Oh, they both read quite nicely, but one is good enough, thank you.

    ReplyDelete