November 18, 2007

Sunday Salon: Someone Named Eva

I know I haven't been doing to well this Sunday, but it's not my fault. Honestly! I was all prepared to read when my brother called to tell me he was coming up. I had everything all ready, too. Tea was poured, radio was playing, book was out (that's the most important part, isn't it?) *insert dramatic sigh here*

Anyways, I've decided to tackle the YA books first since they are the ones past due on reviews. I'm starting with Somebody Named Eva by Joan M. Wolf. It's the story of a young girl amidst the Holocaust. Milada lives with her family in Czechoslovakia when the Nazi invade her home town. Because of her blue eyes and bright blond hair Milada fits the Aryan ideal of a perfect German citizen and is quickly taken to Lebensborn camp where her name is changed to Eva.

I'm rather intrigued by this one. It is inspired by real events and sports a rather nice research history. Now, if only people (despite how much I love them) would leave...

3 comments:

  1. I think I've heard of this tale - or one just like it - a Jewish boy who escaped the massacre which killed his family, was found by a German soldier and ended up being a mascot for the Nazi army. I think he lives today in Australia and his story has only recently come to life.

    Thanks for reminding me about this, Amber. This sounds an excellent story for children - and adults too. The child's face on the cover I find really appealing. She looks so vulnerable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:25 AM

    I don't know this novel, Amber, and it sounds as though I should. I'm always on the look out for new YA novels (a hangover from my working days) so I'll add this to the library list, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the movie Age of Innocence was a very acurate adaptation from Edith Wharton's book.

    I'll have to check out Someone Named Eva. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete