September 9, 2008

Clock Tower Lives Again!

The mother, sister, and I all went for a long walk today. It's been a while, really, since we all went for a walk like this but with the puppy around we finally had an excuse other than our health. I've wanted to walk around down-town for a while now to complete my collection of pictures of the replica Zuckweiler clock tower. The original tower (as pictured here) burned down in 1984. It was a town landmark who's image is used on everything even the town emblem so it had to be rebuilt. And I managed to get some shots, though I'm a bit bummed that I didn't think about it before they started building it.

The area is now known as the Cone & Kimball Plaza Clocktower and Park. The tower looks a little tilted because of the way the road tilts. When I was taking the pictures I tried to stand as straight as possible, but I was going along with the curve of the road. The tower was completed in 2008.

The tower is rather interesting to see in person. It's 75ft tall (the original was 100ft) and rather modern. I think it would have been neat to see the tower made into some sort of informational monument with the base enclosed with little windows looking in on town and county historic information. And the digital chime is just annoying. Instead of playing the traditional clock chime, it midi-style renditions of songs. So very corny.






No comments:

Post a Comment