September 29, 2008

Pink for October

If you haven't noticed things have gotten a little... pink around here. That's because October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. So for the month of October my personal accounts (blog, Twitter, and MySpace) as well as The Gilded Pen, have all gone pink! I've left everything the way it was (background, layout, etc) and just tinted everything pink to give it a bigger impact. It takes a bit of getting used to, but I like it.

Each year it is estimated that 200,000 woman will be diagnosed with breast cancer. If that wasn't bad enough, it is also estimated that 40,000 women will die. Many people believe that breast cancer is only associated with woman, but they would be wrong. Approximately 1,700 men are diagnosed each year and 450 will die. Wow. An approximate 40,450 people will DIE this year from breast cancer alone. That means one out of every 1,513 people will get breast cancer, while 1 out of every 7,547 people will die from it in the US alone. IN ONE YEAR!

But don't be afraid! Studies have shown that as little as 4 hours a week of physical activity (which pumps up the immune system and lowers estrogen levels) can lower your risk. Don't for get to eat a nutritious, low-fat diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables as well, which can also lower your risk of breast cancer! And the best tool for early detection for both men and women is the monthly self exam. Self examination accounts for nearly 70% of early detection which in turn accounts for a 5 year survival rate of 96%.

Read more about breast cancer awareness and join Pink for October to help spread the word! You can also download the following images and background to help spread the word.




7 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:40 AM

    This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:42 AM

    Well... it really is PINK! or is that my Rose colored glasses?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:59 AM

    I love your look! Found you at the PFO site...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debilynn - Ha. Ha. Your such a dork ^_^

    Goodlikeamedicine - Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice pink layout! I went pink on my blogs as well. I love the graphics you have offered up at the end of your post, specifically the banner for the upper right hand corner of sites. I've been looking for a ribbon that could be put in a corner like for a while now. I hope you don't mind me using it on my blog? (review.nanashi-inc.net)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joana, thank you for stopping by! Feel free to use the graphic on any site you wish; that's what it's for ^_^

    If you need the code to put it in the corner, let me know. I'd be happy to email it to you.

    Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:45 AM

    I love Pink! Beautiful layout! Thanks for stopping by "Novel Bloggers". The comments I have gotten about reading The Historian have been mixed, some say they enjoyed it, some say its boring. So I am eager to get started and form my own opinion. Have you read it, would you like to read along with me? I am looking for others to join the book club (be a guest blogger on Novel Bloggers) and read it together?

    ReplyDelete